Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pinewood Derby, Sadies, and Walker's Random Comments

I love this time of year. I love the cooler mornings with days in the upper 70's to low 80's. I love that it gets dark earlier because it means Odean will be home sooner. It also means the Pinewood Derby is upon us.

In Gunlock, the Pinewood Derby isn't just for the scouts. Everyone can participate. We get cars for all of us, however Talon, Gypsy and I just didn't have time this year. Our cars are still in the boxes sitting on the homework table. Anyway, Odean oversees the cutting and sanding. I supervise the artistic efforts. It is the one of the few times of the year I let the kids into my scrapbook & craft supplies. After the wheels are added, the kids weigh the cars and add whatever extra weight is allowed. (Only the boy scouts have weight limitations.) The final product really shows off each personality.
First is Walker's. He wanted it red and blue with his initials so everyone would know it was his. Next is Odean's. The Lead Sled Deux. Who cares what it looks like...he just wants it to be fast, fast enough to beat any of the Fisher's-which he failed to do. (Had to love it! Jake (13) beat him! Not only was his fast, but it looked great! You could tell he had really spent some time on it. I wish I had a picture. He won an award for the most realistic-it was an army tanker truck.) Odean did get 2nd place, though. Last is Jens. Not one for much detail-he wanted it black. Most important for him was getting the "eyes" right.

The girls, both limited in color options because of my dwindling paint stash, chose to use the same color palette. Where Sabrina sort of added as she went along, finding stickers and buttons that matched the paint, Sierra had a party theme in mind all along-the more the merrier.

Other things going on this week include Talon getting asked to go to Snow Canyon High School's Sadies dance coming up in a few weeks. A cute gal from his Health class (I'm not saying who since he hasn't figured it out yet) found out he was going to be asked by someone in one of his other classes. She was actually told he was "reserved". (Are you kidding me? Is he a library book or something? When did it become ok to call "dibs" on a person?) Rather than backing down, she knew she had to make a move quick. She drove out to Gunlock that afternoon to leave her mark on Talon's room. (I bet he wishes he would have cleaned it up like I had asked. Being the mean mom that I am, I did NOT pick anything up-including his underwear-before she went in his room. It made me laugh that there was more of Talon's things lying around than there were of Jens' or Walker's.

Good thing she didn't fill the tub with real goldfish like she had wanted to. They would have all been dead before he got home. (Yes...the kids tub is really that dirty. Shocker isn't it.)

And on one final note for the evening, I thought I would share a conversation Walker had with me this evening.

W "Mom, I really don't like being the youngest one in the family anymore."

M "Well, I don't think there is anything we can do about that. I'm sorry."

W "Oh yes. Tanner wants a parrot. He told Dad to find one for him and he would trade a parrot for Cooper. And Dad is looking so when he finds one for Tanner then Cooper can be the youngest one in the family and I won't have to be any more."

Hmmmm....I wonder if Tanner Burdick has talked to his parents about this trade.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Good grief! That is a lot of pinewood derby cars! I complained when we had 2! Sounds like a lot of fun! I wonder, can parents do the reserving of people as future spouses for their children. I dubs you for son #1 etc. Just an idea!

The Hardy's said...

I love it! From the not picking up the room first, to the parrot/ sibling trade. I miss you!

Joseph and Katie said...

Great pine wood derby cars! THat really was a fun night! Next year Odean you will get those Fisher boys. I think that Walkers idea is awesome. The conversation was darling. Talon you have a good mom who knows that you will only clean your room when things like this happen. Actually who am I kidding?! You probably could care less what the girl thought of your room! Am I right?

Taylor Tribe said...

I love Walker! He just says it like it....Talon, your mom is such a good example to me!

chelon:) said...

those are some fancy cars!! as for the youngest child comment...i have several kids that i am more than willing to get rid of!!! any bids??